(Check out our 'Tasty Tuesday' & 'Thirsty Thursday' )
The ultimate comfort dish
- 1 1/2 lb. potatoes, peeled
- 4 tbsp. butter,melted
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1/4 c. sour cream
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For meat mixture
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 Carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 c. frozen peas
- 1 c. frozen corn
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2/3 c. chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large pot, cover potatoes with water and add a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and cook until totally soft, 16 to 18 minutes. Drain and return to pot.2.
- Use a potato masher to mash potatoes until smooth. Add melted butter, milk and sour cream. Mash together until fully incorporated, then season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Make beef mixture: In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, carrots, and garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant and softened, 5 minutes. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink, 5 minutes more. Drain fat.
- Stir in frozen peas and corn and cook until warmed through, 3 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle meat with flour and stir to evenly distribute. Cook one minute more and add chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and let mixture thicken slightly, 5 minutes.
- Top beef mixture with an even layer of mashed potatoes and bake 20 minutes or until there is very little liquid visible and mashed potatoes are golden. Broil if desired.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.