Follow us on Twitter & Facebook
"Frying Fridays"OR "Friday's Bake"
(Check out our 'Tasty Tuesday' & 'Thirsty Thursday' )
Smothered Pork Chops
Smothered in saucy gravy love
Serves: 4 Servings
- 4 thick, bone-in pork chops
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 c. vegetable or canola oil, plus 3 tablespoons, divided
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 1/2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 c. heavy cream
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Season pork chops all over with salt and pepper.
- In a shallow dish, mix together flour with garlic powder and chili powder. Coat pork chops in flour, shaking off excess. Reserve 2 tablespoons seasoned flour.
- In a large, heavy skillet over medium heat, heat oil until shimmering. In batches, cook pork chops until golden, 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer to plate. Wipe out skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium low, pour in remaining oil, and add onions. Season with more salt and pepper and cook until very soft and slightly caramelized, 15-20 minutes. Add butter and let melt, then sprinkle in reserved flour. Cook until flour is no longer raw, about a minute. Stir in chicken broth and heavy cream and bring to a simmer, until sauce begins to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Return pork chops to skillet and cook until pork is cooked through, about 10 minutes more. Garnish with parsley.