Bacon-Wrapped Mozzarella Sticks
They're every bit as ridiculous as you imagine.
Be careful while frying these: The oil can splatter as the bacon-wrapped cheese cooks (particularly if the cheese starts to ooze out a bit).
- 1 package low-moisture mozzarella sticks (like string cheese)
- 1 package bacon
- Cut the string cheese into thirds, then cut the bacon in half.
- Wrap each piece of cheese twice: lengthwise with one half-strip, then widthwise with another half strip, so the cheese is completely covered.
- Pour canola or vegetable oil into a skillet, filling it about 1-inch deep. Heat the oil for 3-4 minutes over medium high heat.
- Using tongs, carefully place a few of the bacon-wrapped cheese sticks into the pan. After about 2 minutes, gently flip or roll over each piece, cooking the other side. Keep cooking until the bacon has turned dark pink and the fat is no longer translucent.
- Place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain off any excess grease. Let cool for 8-10 minutes before serving.