Sugar Cookie Recipe
Don't pick up frosting without 'em. Plus, get our best ideas for homemade Christmas sugar cookies!
Yield: 20 cookies
- 3 c. all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tbsp. milk
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar until fluffy and pale in color. Add egg, milk, and vanilla and beat until combined, then add flour mixture gradually until totally combined.
- Shape into a disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- When ready to roll, preheat oven to 350º. Lightly flour a clean work surface and roll out dough until 1/8” thick. Cut out shapes and transfer to parchment-lined baking sheets. Freeze 10 minutes (so your shapes hold while baking!).
- Bake until edges are lightly golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack.
- Once cool, frost.