Loaded Cauliflower Mashed Fauxtatoes
No potatoes were harmed in the making of this side dish.
Serves: 6 Servings
- 8 oz. bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large head caulifower cut into florets
- 1/2 c. white wine
- 1 c. low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into pats and chilled
- 1 c. Cheddar
- 2 tbsp. Sliced scallions
- In a large dutch oven over medium heat, add bacon and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate; set aside. Drain bacon fat leaving 2 to 3 tbsp in the pan. Discard excess.
- Add garlic, onion, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper and sauté for 2 minutes. Add cauliflower and cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add wine and stock; simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare a baking dish set on top of a parchment lined sheet pan and set oven to broil setting.
- Transfer cauliflower mixture to a blender in batches and add heavy cream and Parmesan; blend until smooth. Pour cauliflower mash into the baking dish and fold in butter. Top with Cheddar and broil until cheese is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Top with bacon and scallions. Serve immediately.