Orange-Cherry Champagne Cocktails
In China, citrus is given at the New Year as a sign of prosperity. In a champagne cocktail, sweet-tart oranges balance the flavors of the alcohol and other fruit.
Yield: 8 cocktails
- 3 seedless oranges
- Peel of 1/2 orange
- ½ c. red cherries
- ½ c. sweet vermouth (such as Carpano Antica)
- ¼ c. blended Scotch (such as Famous Grouse)
- 1 bottle champagne or other dry sparkling wine (such as Domaine Saint Vincent Brut)
- Transfer orange juice to a blender. Add cherries and blend until fruit is pureed. Strain juice into a pitcher. Stir in vermouth and Scotch.
- Divide cocktail mixture among 8 glasses and top off each with about 1/3 cup champagne. Garnish with orange peels.