Loaded Scalloped Potatoes
Bet you thought they couldn't get any better...
Yield: 4 servings
- 8 oz. bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, plus more for greasing dish
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. chopped scallions, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 1 c. low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 1/2 lb. russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 c. shredded Cheddar
- 1/4 c. sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat brown bacon, about 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer bacon to a plate. Drain excess bacon grease leaving about 2 tablespoons; sauté garlic and onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Melt butter, when it begins to bubble sprinkle flour all over and whisk until flour is absorbed, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add scallions, cream, and chicken stock; bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Wash and dry potatoes. Attach slicing blade to a food processor. If possible, set thickness to 1/8". Trim ends of potato and slice without removing peel. Grease casserole dish with butter and arrange potatoes in rows. Pour creamy mixture over the potatoes followed by a even layer Cheddar and bacon.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until potatoes are tender and cheese is melted, about 20 minutes. Garnish with scallions and dollops of sour cream. Serve immediately.